Monday, October 02, 2006

After


After
Originally uploaded by Phil Haygarth.
Well, I know that many of you have been just itching to read this blog to find out how I did. ha ha! It was not all that bad in the end, actually considering my erratic and diverted preparation strategy I was quite pleased with my time, ca 4 hours 48 minutes, almost balanced exactly between worst time and best ever times (2004, 5 hours 17 and 1999, 4 hours 25). I started for the first time as a veteran that meant I was 30 minutes up on the seniors, I felt ok on the road until the turn to Gill Garth (+ 15 minutes) where I went into the red, and paid for it for a while after. This happened almost certainly because I never got to interval training in my last couple of weeks, due to the afore-blogged virus. hey ho. I gasped and grunted up the steep fell side and (after a brief pee just over the style - I drank too much water in the morning note!) Made my way steadily over the summit of Ingleborough (+ 1 h 08) until I reached Cold Cotes (+ 1 hour 30). On the descent my tool kit burst open and I lost a minute or two fumbling around for essentials before realising it was futile task. After changing tool kits with my support team (Angus, Helen, Matthew, Grandma and Anne) I settled into a reasonably strong road section to the Hill Inn. I missed seeing Rob Jebb pass, it may have been whilst descending Ingleborough. The first big bunch with Nick Craig in my flowed passed effortlessly around White Scar Caves. I shared the effort and company with Graham Robson (Hull Thursday RC) and gulped a coke handed out by Tolly (bad move - too early in the race) before I was passed by my brother in the second group just before the pre-Whernside drinks station. At this stage Dave was around about 10th and I nearly blew a gasket seeing how well he was doing (I had hoped to make the top of the 2nd fell until I suffered the indignity of being caught by my 30 minute-brother – he danced ahead with his bike on his back). Whernside (top at + 2 h 25) seemed a longer slog this year and I rode across the top in heavy rain, followed by a reasonably flowing descent picking my way between the rocks and finding the best route generally to the left of the slabs. I seemed to make up a lot of positions here and was surprised at how often people walked when they could so easily have stayed on the bike. Someone caught a great snap of me (and others) descending Blea Moor here, in a cheeky bit of short cut that my brother had previously explained me. I always enjoy the final descent to the Ribblehead to the right of the steps. Richard Bardgett caught some good pictures at the stage. After grabbing a bottle from the crew (+ 3 h) I had a very strong road ride to Horton where I (unnecessarily) grabbed another bottle from Katie (+ 3 h 25). I seemed to slip into go slow up Pen-y-Ghent but was inspired with the emerging sunshine near the top. After laving the lane, Dave and Trev passed me descending near the bottom of the hill-proper. It took me a shameful hour to reach the top (+4.25). Pleased to descend, I settled into it and raced down, thwarted by a front puncture half way down the track Richard Bardgett caught some more good snaps here). I rode on the rim for about 10 minutes until I made the road and my trusty team of support swapped my bike for the last roll into Helwith. Anne got a good picture here too. Nutrition wise I eat a load of pasta the night before (not too much) and some shredded wheat on the day of the race, plus an energy bar and a few bites of malt loaf. I reckon I eat and drank too much before the start this year - I never ate a thing except liquid carbo at the 2 drink stations. The malt loaf I had prepared was a bad choice and I hated it, just could not get it over. Tip for next year; rely on liquid carb singly and carry one or 2 gels as back up. Do not eat too much on the morning. Other notable times were my brother c 3 h 25, Trev ca. 4 h, Leanne ca. 4. 40, Carl about a minute or 2 behind me and Simon P ca 5.15. The day is always great fun but if I want to improve my time I need to lose another stone and ride more – the question is whether or not I can afford the time with the family? But all-in-all it is still worth it and great fun. Probably see you next year! Thanks for your support everyone.

See results at http://www.ukresults.net/2006/3peaks.html
See pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/philhaygarth/tags/race06/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Probably" see you next year ?? Great read Phil. You know where I'm off now.

Anonymous said...

...nice one Phil.
Not bad for an oldie