Sunday, May 18, 2008

A hot day out

Last weekend I dragged my carcus around the tortuous 100 mile Dartmoor Classic cycle ride. It was a great day out, shared with companions Roger Ebner (my new-found training partner this spring) and Richard, long term boogie-bike friend, and co-rider from last year. In contract to last year's rain, it was a baking hot day (my computer registered 32 degrees C) and the route this time was varied from last year, with the infamous Dartmeet climb coming after 80 plus miles. It took me over 8 hours, in part reflecting the harder route and heat, but also my diminished training schedule this spring. The great weather made it especially pleasurable though, and I hunkered down and did it, ignoring the pain best I could. I had a great support crew, who intercepted us after Okehampton (35 miles) and at the top of Dartmeet (some lovely 'big hugs' from Helen as I stopped at the side of the road). For those interested in stats my official time was 8.15 (including all the necessary cramp stops), and my bike computer says I did 102 miles in 7 hours 24, at an average speed of 13.8 mph and I burned 5400 calories and nearly 600 g of fat (judging my slow time I need to burn some more)!! Here are some snaps that Anne took.....

2 comments:

Dave Haygarth said...

Well done Phil - solid riding and yes, it was a hot day up North too (you'll find the weather generally much better up here ;-) )

I reckon, judging by the clearly bolemic Mr Hannaford riding with you, that your wattage throughout the day's climbs must have been triple his. Well done for pulling round a tough hilly course on such a hot day - compare it to the Fred Whitton next year, eh?

Adrian said...

Nice one Phil....and even out of training your times look pretty impressive to me. I did the Isle of wight tour of 67 miles at 14.0mph, which I presume is less hilly, certainly shorter and represents my peak cycling form. Had a great off road ride in the New forest yesterday - the bike was just great