Monday, May 13, 2013

Helen's inspiring run

Last weekend Helen did her first fell race at Wray and took part in the U8s event, it was quite a big field and was an event that was an inter club (I think national) championships. As parent I was obviously going to be a bit excited and having recognised some natural ability in her had taken her along to the local running club at Dallam earlier this year. I positioned myself on the first clim with my camera and imagine my excitement when she emerged into view in a commanding 2nd place (see the picture). I snapped away like only an over enthusiastic Dad could do and then sprinted (not as fast as Helen) to the next viewing point of the race ready to see her emerge from the hill back into the village. It was a thrill with my long lens to see her emerge in hot pursuit of the leader, and witness a great battle as Helen tried to make up the gap along the long and winding road through the houses to the finish. She came 2nd and what was so inspiring was the way she really fought so hard for it. Jolly exciting - if you want to see the full set (and I apologise for the number of them, but for geeks the time laps is quite interesting) have a look on the Flickr site. Angus also did the race and finished with respect in the U12s class, suffering a tad because he has moved up to a larger age group. he will have his day again, but meanwhile well done gal!

No comments: