Thursday, September 21, 2006

It's not about the bike


It's not about the bike
Originally uploaded by Phil Haygarth.
This afternoon the family drives north to watch Dad humiliate himself in the 3 Peaks Cycle Race. Last year, having lost 1.5 stone in weight, I did one of my best ever times. I had even higher hopes for this year. Tsssk. It’s all fallen apart. Over the past year I kept the cycling and did a modest season of winter cross races. In the spring I upped-it more and had a few goes at some time trails in the mid-summer – with some occasional, but unpredictable form time to time. It as all-been up hill since then though. Here’s a list of the adversity I have faced over the last few weeks.......
- I got a sore mouth in late Aug, which turned into a viral thing and instead of doing 160 miles in the last 2 weeks I did nearly-non.
- My knee, for the first time ever, has started to give me gip. I never have knee problems. It all started whilst walking (yes, walking - how pathetic is that?) in Scotland in July and has been nagging me ever since. Brufon for breakfast.....
- My teething daughter has started to make a habit out of waking around 3 am ish and screaming until ca 4.30 ish. This makes training and recovery harder than last year. Not to mention juggling a career.
- At last week’s weekly-weigh-in, my weight was a mere 1 lb off my starting weight from last year, not bad, could be worse I thought! So, determined to lose that single pound I made an extra-special push with the diet this week and also have put some hard hours in on the bike and the moor – hit it hard from both ends I thought. So what do you think the outcome of all that special effort was? This morning I weighed 4 lbs heavier.
See you all on Sunday. I’m the sleep-deprived fat guy in the red and white top with the arthritic joints. But I’m not complaining. Helen needs her teeth and the bike looks good eh?

1 comment:

Adrian said...

Very amusing commentry Phil, love the bit where you put on weight...I can just imagine your expression of disbelief.

Enjoy the visit from Mark and Sarah