Sunday, June 01, 2008

Farewell North Wyke


North Wyke
Originally uploaded by Phil Haygarth
After nearly 15 happy years as BBSRC employee at North Wyke, this week I said goodbye to 'Grasslands'. North Wyke has been great to me and I will always have many happy memories, but it is time for a new challenge (I start that on Monday - more about that next week). I worked with some great colleagues and made some long term friends (some of which accompanied me for lunch recently - see pictures here). Although I will continue to collaborate with people at North Wyke, the last couple of weeks I have been saying my formal 'goodbyes' as an employee, which culminated in a lovely send off 'cream tea' on Tuesday. David Chadwick, my long term friend and colleague made a terrific presentation speech and I was given a lovely John Christian painting of Dartmoor, a 'This is your life at North Wyke' photo book of my life through the years and a signed North Wyke photo card. I was touched to see some past colleagues turn off to mark the occasion, which included Andy Fraser (who made the trip from London) and Tim Harrod who presented me with a humorous 'IGER's Tiger Flies the Nest' Okehampton Times spoof. Happy days - thanks everyone.

1 comment:

Dave Haygarth said...

It's such a big move in your life something like this. My change last year was so gargantuan at the time that I was in a bit of mild shock about what I was doing. It's hard saying goodbye and it's a double whammy for you because you're also leaving an area too, but I'm so pleased that you're taking something new on - it does us all so much good to change things round once in a while.