Saturday, October 23, 2010

It doesn't get better than this?


, originally uploaded by Phil Haygarth.

My family indulged me today, accompanying me on the long and windy drive (with car sickness) to Wasdale to do the Screes Fell Race. "This is a fell race, no spitting, biting scratching, hitting or kicking, 321 go" joked the organizer and we ran off up Whin Rigg. I love fell running, absolutely, I am totally rubbish at it but that is not the point. Somehow because of carefull training, good foot insoles and shoes I have managed to scratch together the abilty to run again at last after really 15 years out of it. There is no better joy than cresting a hill with your tongue out and your chest rasping, life to the full. I finished respectably, way off the last place, and got my heart beating like its never beaten before for a long time. And to cap it all I ran into the finish to be greeted by my wife and children running beside, me, tears welling in my eyes. The day ended with a Cumberland ale and a Cumberland sausage - now how much more does one want? It doesn't get better than this. Some snaps from Anne's phone here....

No comments: