Sunday, October 03, 2010

Matt's holiday diary


DSCF3816, originally uploaded by Phil Haygarth.

My holiday....

The day I broke up from school Max (my best friend) came round to our new house. While Max was here we had good fun and the highlight of my best friend coming round was going to Laser Adventure in Morecambe. In the first round I came first, Max second and Angus last (He went into minus points). In the second round it was closer but still the same positions. After four fun days Max had to go home and we had to go to France.

On the way to France we visited our Dad's cousin to see our second cousins: Issy and Sophie. We had a fun night and the Barbeque was delicious (apart from the ribs which were inedible with blackness) and it was funny when Uncle Adrian showed us the Barbeque stance (Whisky in one hand spatula in the other and your knees slightly bent). But the next morning we left for France...

The Ferry ride was slow and boring but we got there in the end. It was about a two hour journey in the car from the ferry port to our first campsite. This one we had been to once before when I was six Angus was three and Helen was one, so none of us remembered much. This one had the best pool out of all three campsites we were going to. It had six slides, a Jacuzzi and a pool with lots of bridges over it.

After two days at Britney we had to set off to our next campsite. Interlude. On Ile de re. We had been to Interlude annually since 2006. So this was our fourth time on the campsite and we knew it well. The only change on the campsite that I remember was where the shop was located. It used to be in the centre of the campsite but now it is slightly further away next to the beach (about 400 metres down the road).

After about four hours we arrived. As soon as we got there I was just about to go and play football when I realized that we didn’t have one! So I made my mind up that I would go to the astro-turf first thing tomorrow morning.

When I got to the astro-turf the next morning I found a group of boys playing there. Only two of them weren’t going home later that day. Those two were called Woody and Finn. Later that day Finn, Woody and I headed down to the volley-ball pitch. We had a game. Over the time we were there, about five people joined us! I knew two of them from my previous holiday on Ile de re. These two were called Ewan and Fraser. They were Scottish. I also met a boy named Jack. Over the Holiday we turned out to be good friends.

Over the Holiday we had a relaxed time including Swimming, the beach, long hours Of England Vs France football and fabulous French food. But for me the highlight of the Holiday was the leaving feast. We had food from Chocolate biscuits to gummy bears. Coke to crisps (Which by the way didn’t taste good together!). But we had a great time when I shook the 2L coke bottle and sprayed it everywhere! And then Fraser decided to drink the rest! But the next morning I waved goodbye to my friends as they left for home...

In three days time it was our turn go home too. The ferry we were supposed to be going on had broken down so we had to move to another campsite for one night. The next campsite was fantastic though we only got to experience the bouncy castles and Ice rink. The next morning we went on the ferry and Waited for time to finally bring us back to England. This ferry ride was shorter though because we went to the cinema and watched Shrek 4. It was really good.

Back in England the traffic was terrible. Though we got to Devon in the end. In devon we watched the Sticklepath horseshoe the fell race that Dad had founded. And I went off to play with my Friends. But after two days we had to go home and I can’t say I didn’t want to. I did. Maybe it was seeing all my friends that made me want to stay.

The next day I awoke in my bed. My bed at home...

By Matt Haygarth

1 comment:

margaret haygarth said...

Great to learn all about your holiday,Matt. Hearing about it from your perspective makes it different from your dad's account of things and it certainly is interesting and very well written.
Congratulations on your being selected by LRGS as being a suitable pupil to study there. It is an honour and I am very proud of you,
Love Grandma xx